Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An Opening Statement

Voice of: Joe Hansen
Greetings, St. Scholastica sportsfans!

If you’ve been to the blog before, you’re probably noticing that things have changed around here. We have a fresh, new color scheme (and name) as well as a brand new webmaster. I’ve been entrusted with running this blog, so let’s get to know each other!

My name is Joe Hansen, and I am a third-year English and Journalism major at the college. I’ve been working in the Sports Information office since before my freshman year thanks to my since-graduated sister, who worked here in her final three years at the college. I’m not sure if my end-goal is to be a sports information director, but it sure is starting to look like it.

Working in sports information has given me plenty of exciting opportunities, including writing this blog, as well as having my work featured on CSSsaints.com, UMACathletics.com, and even the official page of the NCAA. College sports and writing are both passions of mine, so that is quite a thrill. I’m also a published author of short stories. Or short story, as the case may be.

But enough about me. Here’s what you can expect on Voice of the Saints in the upcoming year: I hope to update ever Tuesday and Friday. Fridays will usually feature a weekly wrap-up that I like to call “Points and Prattle,” while Tuesdays might feature something a bit more specific, such as detailed analysis of one of our teams (or a game) or a coach’s interview or something. I’d like to have a coach interview at least once per season, as time permits with my own class schedule and their busy schedules.

Last year, Jesse opened up the forum to coaches in a series called “Coach Speak.” If any of our coaches would like to speak out to his or her fans, I’d love to feature them as frequently (or infrequently) as they would like. We also saw the perspective of the players in a few entries. That’s very welcome, too. Just send submissions to jhansen2@css.edu.

If the blog gets enough interest, live blogging (in a “chat” form) could be an option, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. For now, Voice of the Saints will be an outlet for a Saints sports fan (with just a wee bit of “insider” information) to talk to other Saints fans about the teams we love.

So, in the meantime, the school year starts today, so I’m off to class.

Enjoy your week. I’ll be back Friday.
-jh

No comments: