Thursday, November 20, 2008

Getting to Know your CSS Athlete – Women’s Soccer Senior Robin Johnson


Johnson led Saints to their second consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance this season. She is the all-time leading scorer in CSS soccer history, both men and women. She majors in elementary education and received her third College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Academic All-District honor this year.


1. Why did you choose to come to CSS and were there more lucrative offers from other schools?


I chose to attend CSS because I am from Duluth and I wanted to stay in town. I wanted to receive a good education and be able to play soccer for a good team and CSS fit both of those requirements. I wasn't recruited by any other schools.


2. You're the leading goal-scorer in CSS Women's soccer history. With all of the goals you have scored is there one that stands out? And why?


I remember scoring a goal against Eau-Claire my freshman year. I didn't even realize at the time how big of a deal it was because they were a very good team and we beat them.


3. You attended Marshall School and St. Scholastica. After you graduate you want to teach and coach soccer in Duluth. What is it about the city that makes you want to hang around?


I like Duluth mostly because my family and friends are here. I've grown up here and I like being in a familiar environment and seeing familiar faces. I just don't think things would be the same anywhere else.


4. Tell me a little bit about your family?


I have an older sister (26) and brother (23) and a younger brother (19). My parents got divorced about five years ago and I lived with my dad until this summer when I moved in with my sister.


5. Was soccer always your favorite sport growing up?


Yes. I started playing when I was about 3 years old and stuck with it ever since. My dad started coaching my summer team when I was about 10 all the way through high school. I think our "soccer bond" is part of the reason I love soccer so much and he has taught me more about the game than anyone else I know.


6. After spending four years with Coach Reyelts, what has been the most influential item that he has taught you?


I think one of the most important things that Dave has taught me is how to be a better leader on and off the field - how to be confident and be supportive and encouraging for my teammates.


7. The women's soccer team made its first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2007. What was the feeling when you found out the team was in?


We were all very excited to get into the NCAA tournament last year. It was something new that no other team had ever done before and I think we were all proud of what we had achieved. It also gave us an opportunity to prove ourselves against better teams and gain some respect.


8. What will be your favorite memory of St. Scholastica?


There have been a lot of memories over the past four years - it is really hard to pick just one. I think that going to nationals last year and getting in again this year was pretty cool. The experience is something that I will never forget.


9. After four years of making road trips to Morris and Presentation what was the funniest moment you have experienced on one of the road trips?


Probably getting yelled at for not wanting to eat a cookie that a girl handed me after she puked. She got really offended... It wasn't funny at the time, but it is now.


10. You are majoring in elementary education and were named CoSIDA Academic All-District three times. How were you able to accomplish that?


You know, I don't really know how I pulled it off.

No comments: