Friday, October 10, 2008

A Young Pup's Perspective: Women's Soccer


St. Scholastica freshman goalkeeper Bailey Mahlum (Fr.-Bismarck, N.D.) shares her thoughts on the current state of the women's soccer program.

When asked to blog on our soccer team, I did not think anything I could possibly say would compare go Dave’s famous and long-winded soliloquies. I hope I’m right. We started off the week with two welcomed days off. Homework and friends consumed time normally spent at the field. However, we were all excited to hit the field Wednesday afternoon to prepare for another big weekend.

As a native North Dakotan, coming into this whole new Minnesota setting was quite intimidating. I had no idea what to expect with teammates, coaches, practices, or competitions. I was one of the lucky ones and fell into excellent surroundings. Not only do we have a brand-new beautiful field to challenge our competition, I think I met the only other Bailey my age. Bailey (from Helena, MT) and I get to enjoy the stunning scenery while getting lost in the hills of Duluth while frantically trying to find our way back to campus.

We are lucky to be home again this weekend while Bethany and Martin Luther get to make the trip. I am excited to play a team that we have previously faced. For once I will not be completely confused on who we are playing, where they are from, or their strong players. These are sure to be good games and we are all hoping for a good turnout of fans to our own home turf!

No comments: